Canonical – We deliver open source to the world faster, more securely, and more cost-effectively than any other company. We develop Ubuntu, the world’s most popular enterprise Linux from cloud to edge, together with a passionate global community of 200,000 contributors. Ubuntu means ‘humanity to others. We chose it because it embodies the generosity at the heart of open source, the new normal for platforms and innovation. Together with a community of 200,000, we publish an operating system that runs from the tiny connected devices up to the world’s biggest mainframes, the platform that everybody uses on the public cloud, and the workstation experience of the world’s most productive developers. Secure and reliable, elegant and intuitive, and open for innovation – Ubuntu is the future of open source, which is why it’s the fastest-growing Linux in the world despite already being the most widely deployed.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Software Engineer – Ubuntu Gaming Experience
- We are seeking Software Engineers to join the Ubuntu Gaming Experience team and be part of our mission to ship the best open source operating system in the world. This is an opportunity for a Software Engineer passionate about open source software and gaming on the Linux desktop. Come build a rewarding, meaningful career working with the best and brightest people in technology at Canonical, a growing international software company.
- We are in an exciting time for gaming on Linux. Compatibility tools like Proton have matured and many native Windows titles can be made to work, massively expanding the library of titles available on Linux. Delivering a well rounded gaming experience is about more than just compatibility; it’s about maximizing performance across a wide range of hardware, ensuring anti-cheat is robust and secure, making it easy to access tools for content creation, driver management and HUD overlays as well as ensuring game controllers, headsets, RGB keyboards and gaming mice are fully supported and customizable.
- We want to make the widest selection of games “Just Work” on Ubuntu, and we are creating a team to focus on performance, compatibility and user experience for gamers. We want to create a platform that makes it easy for players to find the games they want, use the devices they own and share those experiences with friends.
- In this role you will work with open source projects like Proton and partners like Unity to improve the gaming experience for Ubuntu users around the world, as well as the wider Linux gaming ecosystem in general. You will need to be effective working with low-level libraries, drivers, and the Linux graphics, sound and input stacks.
What You’ll Do
- Collaborate proactively with a distributed team, on low-level, performance and security-critical software.
- Integrate work from multiple partners into Ubuntu, ensuring reliability, security and performance
- Write high quality code in C, Python and C++, debug issues and produce high quality fixes.
- Work from home with global travel 2 to 4 weeks for internal and external events.
Who You Are
- You have a Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent in Computer Science, STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) or similar Degree
- You have experience with Linux input, sound, graphics, C and C++
- You are interested in working with OpenGL, Vulkan, Mesa, Proton, Wine, DXVK, and Direct3D
- You love to game and you understand the challenges facing gamers on Linux today!
- You love technology and working with brilliant people
- You are curious, flexible, articulate, and accountable
- You value soft skills and are passionate, enterprising, thoughtful, and self-motivated.
- You are passionate about creating the best gaming experiences, open source, and solving complex problems.
Application Closing Date
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online