Canonical – We deliver open source to the world faster, more securely, and more cost-effectively than any other company. We develop Ubuntu, the world’s most popular enterprise Linux from cloud to edge, together with a passionate global community of 200,000 contributors. Ubuntu means ‘humanity to others. We chose it because it embodies the generosity at the heart of open source, the new normal for platforms and innovation. Together with a community of 200,000, we publish an operating system that runs from the tiny connected devices up to the world’s biggest mainframes, the platform that everybody uses on the public cloud, and the workstation experience of the world’s most productive developers. Secure and reliable, elegant and intuitive, and open for innovation – Ubuntu is the future of open source, which is why it’s the fastest-growing Linux in the world despite already being the most widely deployed.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Software Engineer – Micro / Private / Bare Metal Cloud
Location: Lagos (Remote)
- This is an exciting opportunity for a software engineer passionate about open source software, Linux, and building technology for democratization of Data Centers. Help us build the #1 bare metal cloud system, and work with the best and brightest people in technology at Canonical!
- The Ubuntu MAAS team is responsible for delivering our Metal As A Service hyperscale provisioning technology. Ubuntu strives to be the most scalable, cloud ready server distribution and MAAS is our platform to get it there. MAAS is a rapidly evolving software stack written in Python and Go, and we are looking for experienced software engineers who understand performance at scale, networking, storage and usability.
- Applicants should be passionate about the future of Ubuntu and be able to show technical leadership with a globally distributed team of engineers who share that passion. This position requires international travel several times a year.
What you’ll do:
- Design and implement software using modern Python and Go.
- Develop MAAS core components and features to make MAAS the #1 bare metal cloud system.
- Shape the architecture of MAAS to make it simpler, faster and easier to use.
- Collaborate with other teams to ensure MAAS works well with other tools and is released on time.
- Contribute your improvements to our continuous integration environment, tests and practices, to maintain fast feedback and good test coverage.
- Contribute to documentation of current and existing features, making it world-class resource for Data Centre operators and users.
- Provide technical communication and collaboration with other teams where appropriate.
- Take personal ownership of problems and drive them to solutions.
- Travel internationally a few times a year to meet and collaborate with your and other teams.
Who you are:
- You have a Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent in Computer Science, STEM or similar field.
- At least 5 years of proven professional software development experience in Python, Go or similar.
- Capacity to learn quickly about new systems and techniques
- Excellent logic, problem solving, and troubleshooting skills
- Strong English language communication skills – both written and verbal
- Experience with Linux server technologies, including but not limited to Virtualization (KVM), Containers (LXC), etc.
- Knowledge of network technologies, including PXE, DHCP, TFTP, DNS, NTP
- As a plus, some experience with Baseboard Management Controllers and Protocols (Redfish, IPMI, AMT and others)
- As a plus, experience with networking, storage technologies and Cloud hosting and infrastructure.
- As a plus, familiarity with some of the open source development tools and methodologies used in creation of several Ubuntu projects (MAAS, Juju, Ubuntu Server, LXD, Ubuntu Core), such as Launchpad, Debian packaging tools (APT, dpkg) and Snapcraft.
- Ideally, experience of large-scale physical server provisioning and automation, including rapid deployment, configuration, management and service orchestration.
Application Closing Date
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Canonical believes a diverse workforce enhances our ability to deliver world class software and services which meet the world’s computing needs.
- We are committed to ensuring equal employment opportunities to all qualified individuals. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.