Canonical – We deliver open source to the world faster, more securely, and more cost-effectively than any other company. We develop Ubuntu, the world’s most popular enterprise Linux from cloud to edge, together with a passionate global community of 200,000 contributors. Ubuntu means ‘humanity to others. We chose it because it embodies the generosity at the heart of open source, the new normal for platforms and innovation. Together with a community of 200,000, we publish an operating system that runs from the tiny connected devices up to the world’s biggest mainframes, the platform that everybody uses on the public cloud, and the workstation experience of the world’s most productive developers. Secure and reliable, elegant and intuitive, and open for innovation – Ubuntu is the future of open source, which is why it’s the fastest-growing Linux in the world despite already being the most widely deployed.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior Software Engineer – Observability (Python / Go / Kubernetes)
- This is an exciting opportunity for a software engineer passionate about open source software, Linux, Kubernetes, and Observability.
- Build a rewarding, meaningful career working with the best and brightest people in technology at Canonical, the growing international software company behind Ubuntu.
- As part of the Observability team, you will develop a cloud-native monitoring stack that uses Juju to compose best-in-class open-source monitoring tools.
- The monitoring stack will be opinionated, resilient, and scalable, providing deep insights out of the box.
- The user experience will be polished and seamless for the end-users, and its administrators will enjoy smooth, lightweight Day 1 and Day 2 operations.
- The monitoring stack will monitor applications running on a mix of cloud technologies such as Kubernetes and OpenStack, as well as bare-metal, virtual machines and containers.
- The stack will be capable of monitoring applications and infrastructure irrespective of whether they are operated by Juju, and will leverage multiple data sources at various levels of the architecture, including Juju itself, to contextualize the collected telemetry and insights delivered to the end-users.
What you’ll do
- Collaborate proactively with a globally distributed team
- Write, test and document high quality code to create new features
- Debug issues and interact with a vibrant community
- Review code produced by other engineers
- Attend conferences to represent Canonical and the Charmed Observability Stack
- Work from home with global travel 2 to 4 weeks for internal and external events.
Who you are
- You have a Bachelor’s or equivalent in Computer Science, STEM or similar degree
- You love technology, observability and working with brilliant people
- You value soft skills and are passionate, enterprising, thoughtful, and self-motivated
- You have a proven understanding of the importance of observability and monitoring for keeping software running smoothly
- You have strong working knowledge of modern monitoring technologies like Prometheus, Alertmanager, Grafana, Loki, etc., and how they fit together
- You are a skilled Python developer, preferably with a track record in open source
- You have a working knowledge of Go
- You have proven, hands-on experience deploying, configuring and using Kubernetes
- You are comfortable contributing to open source codebases maintained by other companies, you have a history of driving consensus in groups of multiple stakeholders with different interests and getting the resulting work delivered
- You have experience with infrastructure-as-code and configuration management tools
- You have interest and experience with two or more of the following: Ubuntu Linux, container images, Debian packaging, snap, distributed systems.
Application Closing Date
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- We are proud to foster a workplace free from discrimination.
- We truly believe that diversity of experience, perspectives, and background will lead to a better environment for our employees and a better platform for our users and customers.
- This is something we value deeply and we encourage everyone to come be a part of the world of Ubuntu.