The African Union (AU) is a continental body consisting of the 55 member states that make up the countries of the African Continent. It was officially launched in 2002 as a successor to the Organisation of African Unity (OAU, 1963-1999). We are an Integrated, Prosperous and Peaceful Africa, driven by its own citizens and representing a dynamic force in the global arena.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior Protocol Officer AfCFTA
Requisition ID: 1165
Location: Accra, Ghana
Job Grade: P3
Contract Type: Regular
Division: Protocol Division
Number of Direct Reports: 2
Number of Indirect Reports: 0
Reports to: Head of Protocol Division
Organization: African Union Commission – AUC
Directorate/Department: Office of the Deputy Secretary General
Purpose of Job
- Enable the AfCFTA Secretariat to achieve its objectives through provision of protocol services with strict adherence to the appropriate conducts of ceremonies.
- Provide support in the preparation and Implement the programmes developed out of the Division’s strategic plan;
- Ensure effective coordination and implementation at various levels;
- Develop and maintain regular working relations with top level stakeholders in appropriate agencies of Member States and partners,
- Prepare and develop reports, budget and work programmes related to the functioning of the Division;
- Provide support to develop resource mobilization strategy with stakeholder’s coordination;
- Manage and supervise employees under his/her supervision with regard to organization and performance evaluation;
- Conduct complex analysis and generate accurate reports in a timely manner for the Division and AfCFTA Secretariat internal use;
- Liaise with the various Departments/Units of the Secretariat for coordination and alignment purposes;
- Prepare budgets for the Division in accordance with relevant frameworks.
- Support the promotion of the activities of the Division including preparing leaflets, guidelines and fact sheets as may be required;
- Actively contribute in the development of strategies, policies, programmes and plans.
- Assist the Head of Protocol on the issues related to privileges and immunities of the Secretariat and its staff are handled in accordance with the relevant provisions of host agreement
- Advise on the appropriate souvenir/gift for the Secretariat special guests during the gift exchange
- Supervise Airport duties of welcoming/and seeing-off Council of Ministers, Senior Trade Officials, other VIPs and Delegates at the airport, VIP lounge when necessary
- Co-ordinate requests for import/export permits for vehicles and other goods and personal effects for the Secretariat and its staff
- Prepare and update the diplomatic lists of the AU Member States (Heads of State and Government; Ministers of Foreign Affairs, Ministers in Charge of Trade and High Commission/Ambassadors accredited to the host country)
- Draft congratulatory and condolence messages when necessary
- Supervise the preparation and organization of official functions and ensure that the conduct of ceremonies, official programmes, and functions are appropriately carried out;
- Assist the head of Protocol to coordinate and follow up appointments of the Secretary General of the AfCFTA Secretariat for all public functions and ceremonies such as visits of Dignitaries, courtesy call of newly appointed Ambassadors;
- Service the Secretariat conference organized both at the Headquarters and those out of the country
- Attend to all protocol-related matters at the official residence of the Secretary General when necessary
- Conduct the periodical induction organized by the Directorate of the Administration when necessary
- Supervise all the audiences organized by the office of the Secretary General and AfCFTA directors when necessary
- Prepare and supervise ceremonies and official functions
- In addition to the above, will perform any other duties directed by the Chief of Protocol and the Principal Protocol Officer
Academic Requirements and Relevant Experience
- A Master’s Degree in International Relations, Political Science, Public Relations or Diplomacy or a related area with a minimum of 7 years of which 3 should be at supervisory level.
- A Bachelor Degree in International Relations, Political Science, Public Relations or Diplomacy with specialization in International Relations and Diplomacy, with ten (10) years of relevant progressive work experience of which Three (3) years at supervisory level
- Ability to use strong managerial delegation, political tact and supervisory skills to achieve documented objectives
- Ability to work effectively with people from various backgrounds and create an environment where diversity is respected
- Ability to collaborate and communicate effectively with top level stakeholders
- Ability to identify key strategic opportunities and risks
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Ability to actively seek, identify and apply appropriate technology to improve programme delivery
- Ability to delegate the appropriate responsibility, accountability and decision-making authority with regard to performance management and professional development
- Proficiency in two of the AU official working languages (French, English, Portuguese, Arabic) and fluency in another AU language(s) is an added advantage;
- Strategic Insight
- Developing Others
- Change Management
- Managing Risk
- Building Relationships
- Foster Accountability Culture
- Learning Orientation
- Communicating with Influence
- Conceptual thinking
- Job Knowledge and information sharing
- Drive for Results
- Continuous Improvement Orientation
Tenure of Appointment:
- The appointment will be made on a regular term contract for a period of three (3) years, of which the first twelve months shall be considered as a probationary period. Thereafter, the contract will be for a period of two years renewable, subject to satisfactory performance and deliverables.
- The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Proficiency in one of the AU working languages (Arabic, English, French, Portuguese, and Spanish) and fluency in another AU language is an added advantage
Indicative basic salary of USD 37,453.00 (P3 Step1) per annum plus other related entitlements e.g. Post adjustment (57% of basic salary), Housing allowance USD 21,832.68 (per annum), and education allowance (100% of tuition and other education-related expenses for every eligible dependent up to a maximum of US$ 10,000.00 per child per annum), for internationally recruited staff and a maximum of $3,300 per child per annum for locally recruited staff.
Application Closing Date
23rd May, 2022.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online