The African Union (AU) is a continental body consisting of the 55 member states that make up the countries of the African Continent. It was officially launched in 2002 as a successor to the Organisation of African Unity (OAU, 1963-1999). We are an Integrated, Prosperous and Peaceful Africa, driven by its own citizens and representing a dynamic force in the global arena.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Project Coordinator (GCCA)
Requisition ID: 1181
Location: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Reports to: Head of Sustainable Environment Division
Directorate / Department: Sustainable Environment & Blue Economy
Division: Sustainable Environment
Number of Direct Reports: 2
Job Grade: P4
Contract Type: Fixed-term
Purpose of Job
- The African Union Commission (AUC) has secured funding from the European Union for the implementation of the Global Climate Change Alliance Plus programme (GCCA+). The overall objective of the programme is to build the institutional capacity and support the coordination functions of the African Union Commission (AUC) and the Economic Community of Central Africa States (ECCAS) for the implementation of the Paris Agreement on Climate Change and the correspondent Nationally Determined Contributions (NDCs) in Africa.
- AUC is responsible for the overall continental coordination of the programme implementation. AUC is also directly responsible for the management and implementation of the project in the ECCAS region.
- The coordinator needs to demonstrate high level of knowledge in fields of climate change and sustainable management of the environment and natural resources. S/he should possess substantial and proven experience in coordination and management of related programmes. S/he should be able to provide both technical and managerial advice to the team.
The Project Coordinator is responsible for:
- Overall management of the activities of the Intra-ACP GCCA+ Programme at the African Union Commission level.
- Provide guidance on the management and implementation as well as the coherence of actions with the policies and strategic orientations of the Economic Community of the Central African States (ECCAS), through close collaboration with the Project Coordinator based in ECCAS Secretariat.
- Guide planning activities and have oversight on coordination and implementation of the Programme’s objectives and work plans
- Provide ongoing technical guidance, policy advice and assistance
- Ensure/Engage in the preparation of quarterly, mid-year and annual progress and performance reports
- Participate in meetings, technical working groups, inter-agency task forces, and other relevant forums on behalf of the programme;
- Monitor, analyze, and evaluate technical reports and other relevant materials in the key areas and facilitate dissemination;
- Coordinate and monitor the financial management of the project and establish measurable project performance indicators, monitor attainment of project outcomes and report on project progress.
- Take charge of staff supervision, perform periodic performance appraisals, guide and supervise staff deployed in office.
- Responsible for overall coordination of the activities of the Intra-ACP GCCA+ Programme at continental level;
- Lead the planning and preparation of reports, budget and work plans related to the functioning of the Unit in coordination with the AUC Head of Environment and ECCAS Technical Coordinator for the GCCA+ ;
- Facilitate and coordinate the formulation of approriate strategies and plans of action for the implementation of the programme ;
- Supervise the monitoring and evaluation of the GCCA+ Programme activities at AUC level;
- Serve as a focal point on all issues relating to the Intra-ACP GCCA+ Programme and undertake all such work and duties as may be necessary for the effective execution of the functions and objectives of the programme ;
- Liaise with all RECS and member States on the GCCA+ programme and cultivate a culture of consultation with all stakeholders;
- Maintain regular communication with the Head of Environment, the GCCA+ Coordinator in ECCAS, the climate change Unit, the Disaster Risk Reduction Coordinator and the ClimSA Programme Coordinator at AUC.
- Ensure complementarity with other climate change and related programmes and initiatives in the implementation of the GCCA+ programme for synergies, networking and resource mobilization purposes;
- Carry out liaison function in the collaboration with partners and other implementing institutions including the Intra ACP Secretariat, EU Delegation to the AU among others
- Support resource mobilization for the programme,
- Guide and monitor the performance of staff under his/her supervision
- Undertake any other duties assigned by the supervisor.
Academic Requirements and Relevant Experience
- Minimum of a Master’s (or Bac + 5) degree in Environmental Science, Climate Change or related fields and ten (10) years of progressively relevant work experience out of which six (6) years should be at expert/managerial level.
- Experience needs to be in areas of environmental management, climate change, sustainable management of the environment and natural resources and disaster risk reduction.
- Experience involving multi-stakeholders such as Regional Economic Communities, Regional Climate Centres, Member States and Development Partners will be an added advantage.
- Bachelor’s Degree in the above fields with twelve (12) years progressively relevant work experience stated above, out of which six (6) years should be at expert/managerial level
- At least three (3) years out of total years of experience must be at supervisory level.
- Proven extensive experience in engagement with RECs in climate change and knowledge of the role of RECs will be an added advantage.
- Additional qualifications in project management would be an asset.
- Experience in climate change negotiations is an added advantage.
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Sound planning and organizational skills
- Ability to negotiate diplomatically
- Ability to delegate the appropriate responsibility, accountability and decision-making authority with regard to performance management and professional development
- Policy development and analysis
- Advanced knowledge of climate change issues, climate change adaptation and mitigation;
- Aware of global climate change negotiations and the regional dimensions
- Proficiency in one of the AU working languages (Arabic, English, French, Portuguese or Spanish) is required, and fluency in another is an added advantage.
- Strategic Insight
- Developing others
- Change Management.
- Managing Risk.
- Building Relationship
- Foster Accountability Culture
- Learning Orientation
- Communicating with Influence.
- Conceptual thinking
- Job Knowledge and information sharing
- Drive for result
- Continuous improvement orientation.
- Proficiency in one of the AU working languages (Arabic, English, French, Portuguese, and Spanish) and fluency in another AU language is an added advantage
Tenure Of Appointment
- The appointment shall be for an initial period of one (1) year, the first three (3) months of which shall be on probation. It shall be renewable subject to performance and availability of funds.
The salary attached to the position is an annual lump-sum of US$ 110,951.49 (P4 Step 5) inclusive of all allowances for internationally recruited staff, and US$ 92,867.97 inclusive of all allowances for locally recruited staff of the African Union Commission.
Application Closing Date
11th July, 2022.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.