The African Union (AU) is a continental body consisting of the 55 member states that make up the countries of the African Continent. It was officially launched in 2002 as a successor to the Organisation of African Unity (OAU, 1963-1999). We are an Integrated, Prosperous and Peaceful Africa, driven by its own citizens and representing a dynamic force in the global arena.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Policy Officer – Monitoring and Evaluation (GCCA-EC)
Requisition ID: 1185
Location: Libreville, Gabon
Reports to: GCCA + Project Coordinator
Directorate/Department: Sustainable Environment & Blue Economy Directorate/Department of Agriculture, Rural Development, Blue Economy, and Sustainable Environment (DARBE)
Division: Sustainable Environment
Number of Direct Reports: 1
Number of Indirect Reports: 0
Job Grade: P2
Number of Positions: 01
Contract Type: Fixed – Term
Purpose of Job
- The African Union Commission (AUC) has secured funding from the European Union for the implementation of the Global Climate Change Alliance Plus programme (GCCA+).
- The overall objective of the programme is to build the institutional capacity and support the coordination functions of the African Union Commission (AUC) and the Economic Community of Central Africa States (ECCAS) for the
- implementation of the Paris Agreement on Climate Change and the correspondent Nationally Determined Contributions (NDCs) in Africa.
- The AUC is responsible for the overall continental coordination of the programme implementation.
- Assist in the following up on the activities of the Project, with focus on monitoring and evaluating progress made in line with a predefined strategic plan.
- Suggest new and expand on existing policy areas for planned research.
- Contribute in conducting analysis and generate accurate reports in a timely manner for the project’s internal use.
- Assist in setting the overall research direction of a relevant policy area.
- Participate in the organisation of relevant meetings, congresses and conferences with stakeholders.
- Engage with relevant mid-level stakeholders and develop working relationships.
- Support the promotion of the activities of the Project including preparing leaflets, guidelines and fact sheets as required
- Assist in drafting reports and participate in the preparation of budget and work programmes related to the functioning of the Project
- Provide technical support to internal and external stakeholders
- Ensure routine monitoring of project activities
- Track progress the implementation of GCCA+ related activities as well as capturing the best practices and lessons learnt in relation to proper planning, implementation, monitoring and follow up,
- Ensure good representation and ensuring a regular reporting system is in place.
- Develop a Monitoring and Evaluation system for the programme and related projects.
- Document lessons learned on all components of the project and support dissemination of knowledge from the programme.
- Carry out regular assessment of the programme implementation to measure performance against objectives.
- Document achievements and challenges based on regular programme monitoring.
- Engage the production of regular monitoring reports and support the production of progress and annual reports for the programme.
- Provide support to the external review and evaluation of the GCCA+ programme.
- Assist with training on the use of recommended reporting and monitoring formats and guidelines;
- Carry out any other task assigned by the supervisor.
Academic Requirements and Relevant Experience
- Candidates must have a minimum of a Master’s Degree in Environmental Sciences or Sustainable Development or related field with a minimum of two (2) years of progressively relevant work experience in project monitoring and evaluation, including hands-on experience in designing, monitoring and evaluation systems of development projects.
- A Bachelor’s Degree in the above fields of study with a minimum of five (5) years of progressively relevant work experience as stated above.
- A qualification or experience in Programme/Project management including design and formulation, management, monitoring and evaluation is essential.
- Experience in project monitoring and evaluation, including hands-on experience in design, monitoring and evaluation of development projects.
- Experience in climate change projects and negotiations will be an added advantage.
- Experience in the ECCAS region (i.e. Member States) will be an added advantage.
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Sound planning and organizational skills
- Ability to negotiate diplomatically
- Very good reporting skills
- Excellent ability to work with required computer applications
- Proficiency in one of the AU working languages (Arabic, English, French, Portuguese or Spanish) is required and fluency in another one AU working language will be an advantage. Proficiency in ECCAS working languages is highly preferred and knowledge of any other official language of the ECCAS region will be an added advantage.
- Strategic Insight…
- Developing others ….
- Change Management….
- Managing Risk…
- Building Relationship
- Foster Accountability Culture
- Learning Orientation
- Communicating with impact
- Conceptual thinking…
- Job Knowledge and information sharing…
- Drive for Results…
- Continuous improvement orientation…
Tenure of Appointent:
- The appointment shall be for an initial period of one (1) year, the first three (3) months of which shall be on probation. It shall be renewable subject to performance and availability of funds.
- The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Proficiency in one of the AU working languages (Arabic, English, French, Portuguese, and Spanish) and fluency in another AU language is an added advantage
- The salary attached to the position is an annual lump sum of US$ 80,801.70 (P2 Step 5) inclusive of all allowances for internationally recruited staff, and US$ 65,992.92 inclusive of all allowances for locally recruited staff of the African Union Commission.
Application Closing Date
11th July, 2022.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online