Canonical – We deliver open source to the world faster, more securely, and more cost-effectively than any other company. We develop Ubuntu, the world’s most popular enterprise Linux from cloud to edge, together with a passionate global community of 200,000 contributors. Ubuntu means ‘humanity to others. We chose it because it embodies the generosity at the heart of open source, the new normal for platforms and innovation. Together with a community of 200,000, we publish an operating system that runs from the tiny connected devices up to the world’s biggest mainframes, the platform that everybody uses on the public cloud, and the workstation experience of the world’s most productive developers. Secure and reliable, elegant and intuitive, and open for innovation – Ubuntu is the future of open source, which is why it’s the fastest-growing Linux in the world despite already being the most widely deployed.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Kubernetes Engineering Manager
- Lead the team responsible for MicroK8s and Charmed Kubernetes.
- We offer two distributions of upstream Kubernetes, and enables multiple partners to build their own specialized distributions too. For small clusters, IoT, and developers, we offer Microk8s, a very popular low-ops, self-healing, highly available Kubernetes.
- Our goal with MicroK8s is to have Kubernetes disappear into the background, with a one-command install and one-command cluster deployment approach that uses best-of-breed defaults, and maintains itself automatically.
- For large-scale deployments with complex integration requirements we offer Charmed Kubernetes, which enables people to mix-and-match components from a wide range of open source and proprietary vendors across the industry, with specific architectures on metal and clouds.
- As the engineering manager of the Kubernetes team you’ll engage the Kubernetes community, represent Canonical and Ubuntu at KubeCon, and use your engineering leadership abilities to guide teams using Python and Go to deliver exciting new features to thousands of enthusiastic users. Join our globally distributed team and help build the next generation of container technology for devs, cloud, clusters, workstations, Edge and IoT.
- This is an exciting opportunity for a leader passionate about strong teams, open source software, Linux and Kubernetes. Build a rewarding, meaningful career working with the best and brightest people in technology at Canonical, a growing international software company.
What You’ll Do
- Build and lead a globally distributed team of engineers
- Develop talent through coaching, mentoring, feedback and hands-on career development
- Support timely delivery of technical solutions to address business needs
- Effectively set and manage expectations with other engineering teams, senior management, and external stakeholders
- Advocate and advance modern, agile software development practices
- Develop and evangelize great engineering and organizational practices
- Grow a healthy, collaborative engineering culture in line with the company values
- Be an active part of the leadership team and collaborate with other leaders in the organization
- Participate in strong engineering process through code and architectural review
- Engage with teams at Canonical, the open source community and commercial partners
- Oversee the quality, and engineering practices of a large team of software engineers building Kubernetes offerings.
- Work from home with global travel for 4 to 6 weeks per year for internal and external events.
Who You Are
- You have a Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent in Computer Science, STEM or a similar field
- You love developing and growing people and have a strong track record of doing it
- You are knowledgeable and passionate about software development
- You have some experience in leading, managing, coaching and mentoring software developers
- You are focused on success and the delivery of timely, high quality software
- You have solid experience working in an agile development environment
- You have strong written and verbal technical communication skills
- You bring an understanding of modern Linux, Containers, Docker, and Kubernetes
- Practical experience with cloud technologies and containers.
Application Closing Date
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online