Apply for Fleet Services Specialist, Senior Northern Arizona University: NAU is a community devoted to student success and sustained by an unshakable commitment to our shared mission, vision, and values. We-faculty, staff, and administrators-thrive by combining our efforts and working side by side to further NAU’s culture of excellence.
Location: Facility Srv: Transportation
Job ID: 606377
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
- Upload a resume, cover letter, and contact information for 3 references to best evaluate your prior experience as it meets the needs of the position.
- Possession of a current Arizona C driver’s license upon employment.
- Travel between campus locations is a regular part of the position. Arizona Administrative Code Fleet Safety Policy requires all employees who drive, on university business to pass an online defensive driving course and submit their driver’s license number for periodic records review. The law affects all faculty, staff and students who drive any university-owned motorized vehicles. For more information on NAU Authorized Driver Policy
Supports the Assistant Director and Fleet Manager in the coordination of 3 business units under the Fleet Services umbrella. This position will spend a majority of their time within the motor pool, however assignments in other areas will be as needed. This position will have fiscal responsibilities that impact a large scope of University departments, and must also have a basic understanding of Grant guidelines.
Department Oversight – 40%
- Assists in the management of 4 business units as assigned by Supervision including but not limited to Motor Pool, Long Term Leasing, Repair, and Fuel Operations.
- Manages the fleet fuel cards including dispatching cards, billing, and addressing card issues.
- Manages the lease vehicle program including customer service, assisting with maintenance scheduling, reporting damage, and billing. Assists in managing new lease vehicle requests and vehicle placement.
- Assists in working with outside rental vendors including booking vehicle and charter bus reservations and addressing billing issues.
- Assists in monitoring motor pool vehicle maintenance, monitors fuel usage, fuels and washes vehicles as needed, and checks vehicles and records any damage including reporting and obtaining estimates and repairs.
- Addresses the majority of day-to-day technological office issues including problem-solving, software training, maintaining computers, utilizing current and help introduce new technologies, managing the departments online services, cloud storage, website and working with ITS to solve various issues.
- Responsible to provide department coverage and plan the appropriate staffing needs as based on the approved absences for the department.
- Designs and maintains department forms and contracts according to needs of customers and coworkers.
- Manages and orders department office supplies.
- Helps maintain physical facilities and prepares department for next day dispatching.
- Oversee and approve payroll for all (10) student employees.
Customer Service -40%
- Assists in providing as-needed customer service to a diverse clientele via in-person, phone, and email including managing reservations, dispatching vehicles, billing, problem-solving, responding to emergencies, and maintaining a customer-friendly work environment.
- Plan and execute objectives under the guidance of the department, while maintaining the highest level of customer service to our customer base
Recruitment and Training – 10%
- Manages the job posting, interviewing, hiring, terminating, and scheduling processes of student workers.
- Interact & participate in the hiring & training of students, and any FTE employees as needed.
Other – 10%
- Other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma AND
- 1-3 years administrative/coordinative program experience; OR
- Any combination of relevant education and experience may be substituted for the educational requirement on a year-for-year basis.
- Experience in an applicable field in budgeting & accounting, and experience in any of the four listed operational units: rental pool, long term lease, repair shop, or fuel operations.
- Facilities or Fleet information management system experience.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Knowledge of data base functions and data entry.
- Knowledge and proficiency in Microsoft office suite.
- Knowledge of account management principals, basic accounting, and budgeting with an emphasis in check & balance development & implementation.
- Knowledge of best business practices and basic contract terminology.
- Knowledge of safety principals as applicable to each department, ability to understand & assist in the development of guidelines
- Knowledge of supervisory practices, principles organizational practices.
- Effectively use oral, written, and non-verbal communication skills to inform, instruct and persuade various audiences as well as listen for meaning and understanding.
- Customer service skills including problem resolution tactics.
- Provide face-to-face interactions with internal and external customers.
- Independent decision-making skills based on the department business model.
- Ability to work effectively with people from a variety of culturally diverse backgrounds.
- Ability to manage several processes applicable to different business models.
COVID-19 Vaccine Requirement
As of 12/10/21, the Safer Federal Workforce employee vaccination requirement is currently suspended pending the outcome of a federal court-issued injunction. This injunction has suspended the recent executive order issued by President Biden requiring all employees of federal contractors to receive COVID-19 vaccinations. For current status of the vaccine requirement and/or questions, please visit FAQs for Employee Vaccination Requirement.
This position has been identified as a safety/security sensitive position. Therefore, per AZ Revised Statute, Northern Arizona University requires satisfactory results for the following: a criminal background investigation, employment history investigation, degree verification (in some cases) and fingerprinting.
If you are applying for a job that requires a CDL, you will be required to register with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration Drug & Alcohol Clearinghouse and adhere to the clearinghouse requirements. Additionally, as an employer in the state of Arizona, NAU is required to participate in the federal E-Verify program that assists employers with verifying new employees’ right to work in the United States.
Finally, each year Northern Arizona University releases an Annual Security Report. The report is a result of a federal law known as the Clery Act. The report includes Clery reportable crime statistics for the three most recent completed calendar years and discloses procedures, practices and programs NAU uses to keep students and employees safe including how to report crimes or other emergencies occurring on campus.
In addition, the Fire Safety Report is combined with the Annual Security Report for the NAU Flagstaff Mountain Campus as this campus has on-campus student housing.
This report discloses fire safety policies and procedures related to on-campus student housing and statistics for fires that occurred in those facilities. If you would like a free paper copy of the report, please contact the NAUPD Records Department at (928) 523-8884 or by visiting the department at 525 E. Pine Knoll Drive in Flagstaff.
Salary range is $36,018 to $45,023. Annual salary commensurate with candidate’s qualifications and related experience.
This position is non-exempt under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA). The incumbent is eligible for overtime pay or compensatory time according to University policy. Further, the employee must submit timesheets that accurately reflect all hours worked.
This is a Classified Staff (CLS) position. NAU offers an excellent benefit package including generous health, dental and vision insurance; participation in the Arizona State Retirement System; paid vacation and 10 holidays per year; and tuition reduction for employees and qualified dependents.
More information on benefits at NAU is available on the Human Resources benefits website. Classified Staff employees are in a probationary status for their first six months at NAU. NAU is a tobacco and smoke-free campus. Employees offered a position will be eligible for state health plans (including NAU’s BCBS Plan). New employees are eligible for benefits on the first day of the pay period following their enrollment, after their employment date.
Employees will have 31 days from their start date to enroll in benefits. Additionally, new employees will begin participating in the Arizona State Retirement System, and the long-term disability coverage that accompanies it, on the first of the pay period following 6 months after the new employee’s start date.
Learning and Development
Your career at Northern Arizona University includes the opportunity for professional development. New employee on-boarding training includes courses to be completed within the first 30 days. If your position includes the supervision of a benefit-eligible employee, we offer the NAU Supervisors Academy for you to complete within your first 2 years.
NAU will not provide any U.S. immigration support or sponsorship for this position.
June 30, 2022 at 11:59 p.m.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please click on the “Apply” button on this page. You must submit your application by clicking on the “Submit” button by midnight of the application deadline. If you need assistance completing your application there are instructions available on the Human Resources website or in person in the Human Resources Department located in Building 91 on the NAU Campus – on the corner of Beaver and DuPont Streets.
If you are an individual with a disability and need reasonable accommodation to participate in the hiring process please contact the Office of Equity and Access at: 928-523-3312/TDD – 928-523-1006 or PO Box 4083, Flagstaff AZ 86011.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Northern Arizona University is a committed Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Institution. Women, minorities, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. NAU is responsive to the needs of dual career couples.
EEO is the Law Poster and Supplements
NAU is an Employer of National Service. AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other National Service alumni are encouraged to apply.
To apply, visit https://bit.ly/3mFvH2o
Applying and hiring FAQs
Answers to frequently asked questions about applying and hiring at Northern Arizona University are listed below.
Does Northern Arizona University accept paper applications?Accordion Open
All applications for Classified Staff, Service Professional and Faculty/Administrator positions must be submitted online. If you are interested in a Faculty or Administrator Openings, please follow the application instructions on the posting.
How do I access the application?Accordion Open
What if I don’t have a computer?Accordion Open
Many places have computers available to the public, including public libraries and community employment service offices. Computers are also available in the Northern Arizona University Human Resources Office lobby, and our staff is happy to assist you.
When I try to access the application, I get an error message that will not allow me to see the page. What can I do?Accordion Open
We recommend the following:
- Access the application using Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox.
- If you are a Northern Arizona University employee or student, please be sure that you are not logged into LOUIE or PeopleSoft. If you are logged in, close all Internet windows before trying to access the application again.
- Close your web browser and then open it again.
- Upon re-opening your browser, please delete your temporary internet files and cookies. To do this, click on “Tools,” located in your browser’s toolbar, then choose “Internet Options.” In the Temporary Internet Files section, click “Delete Cookies” and “Delete Files.” After you have completed these tasks, you should be able to access the application.
If you still cannot access the application after following the steps above, you should contact your systems administrator or Internet service provider. They may have a firewall installed that is preventing you from viewing our page.
How do I login to the application system?Accordion Open
To apply for openings, you will need to establish a unique user name and password. Both the user name and password are case sensitive. Please keep a record of the information for future use.
If you did not provide an e-mail address in your profile, you will need to establish a new user name and password and begin the application process again.
I don’t have an e-mail account. How do I get one?Accordion Open
I can’t remember my user name or password. Can you tell me what it is?Accordion Open
If you have entered an e-mail address in your profile you can click on “Login Help” on the staff openings or faculty and administrator openings page and request that your user name or password be sent to your email address. If you do not have an email address in your profile, you will need to create a new user name and password and recreate your application materials.
How can I search the job openings?Accordion Open
You may sort the list of jobs by clicking on any of the headers. For example, if you click on the “Job Title” heading, it will sort the openings in alphabetical order. If you click it again, it will sort them in reverse alphabetical order.
With the Advanced Search Option, you may search by job vacancy number, part-time/full-time status, job family or location using the provided menus. You may also type in keywords or a job title to search by. It is best to use full words in defining your search criteria.
How can I view more information about one of the job titles listed?Accordion Open
Click on the job title for a full description of the position. If you want to apply for that job, just click the “Apply Now” button on the posting.
How often is the job vacancy information updated?Accordion Open
Job vacancy information on the web is updated daily. Please note that the availability of each position is subject to change at any time.
Can I apply for more than one job at a time?Accordion Open
No. The system does not allow for applicants to apply for more than one job at a time.
Can I attach a resume and a cover letter to my application?Accordion Open
Yes, but it must be all in one document. Therefore, we recommend that you put your resume and cover letter in one Microsoft Word or Adobe Acrobat document, using page breaks to separate them. It is also recommended that you include your name and the position vacancy number in the attachment and/or in the document title.
What if my resume and cover letter are not Microsoft Word or Adobe Acrobat (.pdf) documents?Accordion Open
Our system can only accept documents in these formats. You will need to convert your documents before attaching them to your application.
Do I need to submit an application in order to apply?Accordion Open
Classified Staff and Service Professional openings require an online application in order to be considered for each position.
Faculty and Administrator Openings require an online application in order to be considered for each position. These postings indicate what materials are required and where to send the additional materials if needed in the “How to Apply” or “Special Information” section of the posting announcement.
Do I need to submit a separate application for each position that I would to apply for?Accordion Open
Yes, a separate application needs to be submitted for each individual position for which you wish to apply. You may apply for more than one position at a time by clicking in the box to the left of the job title in the job posting list, then clicking on the “Apply Now” button.
Additionally, you may return to the application at a future date and most of the information you have already provided will be there for you to edit. Be sure to review your information before submitting each application, and you must answer all of the applicant questions before applying for each application submission.
Where do I submit an application?Accordion Open
All Classified Staff, Service Professional, Faculty and Administrator applications must be completed online. For assistance with the online application, please view the Applicant Tutorial. If you have questions please contact our Customer Service Center at 928-523-2223 or send us an email.
Faculty and Administrator openings specify the types of materials needed for the application process, and where those materials should be sent.
Will you consider my application for other positions that are available at NAU?Accordion Open
You will only be considered for the position(s) for which you submit an application. If you would like to be considered for other available positions, you will need to submit a separate application for each position.
Do I have to fill out all portions of the application if I attach a resume?Accordion Open
Yes. In order to receive full consideration you need to completely fill out each section of the application, even if you attach a resume.
When is my application due?Accordion Open
All applications must be submitted via the Careers page no later than midnight on the closing date for the position. Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
What does “Open until further notice” mean?Accordion Open
If an application deadline reads “Open until further notice,” the hiring department is accepting applications until an adequate applicant pool is established. Once an applicant pool has been established, the posting will be updated to provide applicants three days of notice before the position closes. However, the vacancy may close without notice. If you have interest in a position, it is highly recommended that you apply as soon as possible upon seeing the announcement.
When will my references be checked?Accordion Open
Departments can choose to check applicants’ references at any time. If you would like special consideration in having an employer contacted, please indicate this in the responsibilities section under the work experience section of the application.
Can I print my application?Accordion Open
You will not be able to print your application. If you are selected for an interview, a paper application will be provided at the interview for you to review for accuracy and sign.
How do I know that you have received my application?Accordion Open
Once you submit your application and agree to the conditions of employment you will receive a confirmation e-mail (if you have provided an e-mail address) within a few hours.
Can I look at previous applications that I have submitted?Accordion Open
How long after I apply might I be called for an interview?Accordion Open
The time varies depending on the department conducting the search. However, it usually takes two to three weeks after the closing date on the job to conduct interviews and reach a hiring decision.
The department conducting the search will notify applicants directly to request an interview or notify them that a selection has been made.
What are the password requirements for the application tool?Accordion Open
Please select a password that:
- Has a minimum of 7 total characters with at least 1 digit, 1 lowercase character, and 1 uppercase character.
- Does not match your user name.
- Does not match any of your email addresses.
What do I do if my password expires?Accordion Open
Is my application user name and password synced with other NAU accounts?Accordion Open