Assistant Director, Alumni Engagement Northern Arizona University
Location: Alumni Engagement
Job ID: 606275
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
This position is located on NAU’s Mountain Campus in Flagstaff. The position is in the Office of Alumni Engagement, which is part of the larger Advancement | Foundation division.
Generally, this job is done from a traditional office setting (in-person and local, remote-hybrid options), but occasional travel and work during nights/weekends is required. Some occasional heavy lifting may be required.
The Assistant Director for Alumni Engagement oversees the development and execution of programs to build institutional alumni engagement initiatives.
The Assistant Director observes relevant industry trends to inform strategic decisions and communicates regularly with leadership and university partners to ensure alignment across plans and strategies to address and resolve any issues. Reporting to the Director of Alumni Engagement, this role has primary oversight for the university’s alumni networks and alumni/donor volunteer engagement efforts.
The Assistant Director oversees NAU Near You, a regional and affinity-based alumni chapter program, that empowers alumni to access the Lumberjack network where they live and work. Alumni chapters and identity-based affinity groups are led by alumni volunteers and are created to support a Lumberjack’s life-long relationship with NAU through in-person/virtual social events, networking activities, giving initiatives, and meaningful volunteer and ambassador opportunities.
In addition to defining program strategies and goals, the Assistant Director supervises the Alumni Engagement Manager, who is responsible for the day-to-day management of alumni volunteers and the coordination of events and activities hosted in various locations including Flagstaff, Phoenix, Prescott, Yuma, Portland, Denver, San Diego, North Texas, Washington, DC and by identity-based affinity groups such as the Native American Alumni Chapter.
The Assistant Director is a leader for Advancement|Foundation initiatives and collaborates with division colleagues and university partners to mobilize ambassadors who elevate the reputation of NAU and generate enthusiastic support for its growth and advancement.
The Assistant Director is a key contributor in defining mission-driven goals in the areas of student and alumni engagement, fundraising, corporate partnerships, volunteer service, social programming, and networking, and engaging volunteers as a critical part of accomplishing such goals.
Program Management – 40%
- Actively partner with Associate Vice President, Director, and other Alumni Engagement staff to administer NAU Near You, an alumni chapter program connecting alumni within key geographic areas and affinities.
- Lead design, development, implementation, management, and evaluation of programs and projects focused on increasing engagement, deepening relationships, and empowering volunteers to mobilize their fellow Lumberjacks.
- Establish a chapter guidebook, best practices, and similar written materials outlining operations, structure, and standards for the NAU Near You alumni chapter program. Partner with Alumni Engagement colleagues to implement and maintain procedures and documents.
- Oversee high-impact virtual and in-person engagement, working collaboratively with Alumni Director and University Events to plan and execute chapter events and activities that highlight notable alumni achievements, university initiatives, alumni resources, and support affinity group engagement.
- Serve as key liaison with campus stakeholders to facilitate engagement on their behalf and to create alumni volunteer opportunities across campus that can be accessed both in-person and virtually.
- Provide budget oversight for program areas, report on program outcomes and engagement metrics, and make data-driven recommendations for growth and improvement.
- Develop, implement, and maintain recordkeeping systems and procedures and train others accordingly.
Supervision – 25%
- Supervise at least one full-time employee and/or one student employee, providing management, leadership, advice, support, and guidance for operations in the areas of volunteer management and chapters and affinity groups.
- Deliver formal feedback, plan work, resolve conflict, and address performance issues with direct reports.
- Establish professional development plans with direct reports that foster continued growth, learning, and professional connection within the field of alumni engagement and/or area of assignment.
- Facilitate a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and development of diversity, equity, and inclusion skills. diversity, equity, and inclusion skills
Volunteer Cultivation & Stewardship – 25%
- Oversee strategy for alumni volunteer engagement and support Alumni Engagement Manager in their efforts to execute day-to-day operations.
- Develop and implement volunteer policies and procedures consistent with those of the university and state and federal regulations to ensure the efficient operation of programs and projects.
- Establish a volunteer recognition strategy including an annual event that highlights the impact alumni volunteers have on student success, fundraising efforts, and alumni programming.
- Act as a liaison to the university, connecting volunteers to necessary departments, university resources, and each other. Collaborate closely with campus partners to maintain a current inventory of volunteer opportunities where interested volunteers can be placed.
- Provide high-level stewardship to volunteers and ambassadors demonstrating appreciation for their engagement, fostering continued connection, and reinforcing the importance of NAU’s culture of philanthropy.
- Responsible for ongoing alumni volunteer recruitment, onboarding, and training.
Alumni Engagement and A|F Team Member – 10%
- Assist with NAU Alumni Association Board relations and serve as a staff liaison to the NAU Alumni Association Board Chapters & Networking committee.
- Serve as a key external outreach leader for Alumni Engagement, A|F, and NAU.
- Support monthly Lumberjacks Live virtual programming.
- Support overall alumni and donor stewardship efforts.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field; AND,
- 3-5 years of relevant experience; AND,
- 2-4 years of management or supervisory experience; OR,
- Any combination of relevant education and experience may be substituted for the educational requirement on a year-for-year basis.
- Master’s degree in relevant field; AND,
- 5-7 years of relevant experience
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Advanced knowledge of practices, developments, and techniques used in alumni engagement.
- Knowledge of alumni engagement industry trends in higher education.
- Knowledge of current/effective management tactics and practices.
- Project management skills.
- Conflict resolution and customer service skills.
- Planning, organizing, directing, and facilitating skills.
- Coordinates team members and allocates tasks.
- Communicates effectively.
- Manages relationships.
- Analyzes complex situations and anticipates issues.
- Promotes a diverse, inclusive environment.
- Experience overseeing programs and personnel in a higher education environment.
- Knowledge of principles and procedures of alumni engagement and non-profit fundraising.
- Skill in program development and execution, including coordination of activities, evaluating data, and establishing priorities.
- Experience serving as a professional representative of an organization or business.
- Experience managing a volunteer program or working as a relationship manager.
- Advanced knowledge of budgeting and accounting principles.
COVID-19 Vaccine Requirement
As of 12/10/21, the Safer Federal Workforce employee vaccination requirement is currently suspended pending the outcome of a federal court-issued injunction. This injunction has suspended the recent executive order issued by President Biden requiring all employees of federal contractors to receive COVID-19 vaccinations. For current status of the vaccine requirement and/or questions, please visit FAQs for Employee Vaccination Requirement.
This position has been identified as a safety/security sensitive position. Therefore, per AZ Revised Statute, Northern Arizona University requires satisfactory results for the following: a criminal background investigation, employment history investigation, degree verification (in some cases) and fingerprinting.
If you are applying for a job that requires a CDL, you will be required to register with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration Drug & Alcohol Clearinghouse and adhere to the clearinghouse requirements. Additionally, as an employer in the state of Arizona, NAU is required to participate in the federal E-Verify program that assists employers with verifying new employees’ right to work in the United States. Finally, each year Northern Arizona University releases an Annual Security Report.
The report is a result of a federal law known as the Clery Act. The report includes Clery reportable crime statistics for the three most recent completed calendar years and discloses procedures, practices and programs NAU uses to keep students and employees safe including how to report crimes or other emergencies occurring on campus. In addition, the Fire Safety Report is combined with the Annual Security Report for the NAU Flagstaff Mountain Campus as this campus has on-campus student housing.
This report discloses fire safety policies and procedures related to on-campus student housing and statistics for fires that occurred in those facilities. If you would like a free paper copy of the report, please contact the NAUPD Records Department at (928) 523-8884 or by visiting the department at 525 E. Pine Knoll Drive in Flagstaff.
Salary range begins at $83,312. Annual salary commensurate with candidate’s qualifications and related experience.
This position is exempt from the overtime provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and therefore will not earn overtime or compensatory time for additional time worked.
This is a Service Professional (SPF) position. NAU offers an excellent benefit package including generous health, dental and vision insurance; participation in the Arizona State Retirement System or the Optional Retirement Program; 22 days of vacation and 10 holidays per year; and tuition reduction for employees and qualified dependents. More information on benefits at NAU is available on the Human Resources benefits website.
NAU is a tobacco and smoke-free campus. Service Professionals are hired on a contract basis, renewable each 6 months according to terms of the Conditions of Professional Service. Employees offered a position will be eligible for state health plans (including NAU’s BCBS Plan). New employees are eligible for benefits on the first day of the pay period following their enrollment, after their employment date. Employees will have 31 days from their start date to enroll in benefits.
If a new employee chooses the ASRS retirement option, participation in the Arizona State Retirement System, and the long-term disability coverage that accompanies it, will begin on the first of the pay period following 6 months after the new employee’s start date.
New employees who choose to participate in the Optional Retirement Plan (ORP), which is an alternative to the ASRS plan for faculty and other appointed staff, will begin to participate on the first day of employment. Additionally, the long-term disability plan that accompanies the ORP will begin on the first day of employment.
Learning and Development
Your career at Northern Arizona University includes the opportunity for professional development. New employee on-boarding training includes courses to be completed within the first 30 days. If your position includes the supervision of a benefit-eligible employee, we offer the NAU Supervisors Academy for you to complete within your first 2 years.
NAU will not provide any U.S. immigration support or sponsorship for this position.
July 11, 2022 at 11:59 p.m.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please click on the “Apply” button on this page. You must submit your application by clicking on the “Submit” button by midnight of the application deadline. If you need assistance completing your application there are instructions available on the Human Resources website or in person in the Human Resources Department located in Building 91 on the NAU Campus – on the corner of Beaver and DuPont Streets.
If you are an individual with a disability and need reasonable accommodation to participate in the hiring process please contact the Office of Equity and Access at: 928-523-3312/TDD – 928-523-1006 or PO Box 4083, Flagstaff AZ 86011.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Northern Arizona University is a committed Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Institution. Women, minorities, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. NAU is responsive to the needs of dual career couples.
EEO is the Law Poster and Supplements
NAU is an Employer of National Service. AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other National Service alumni are encouraged to apply.
To apply, visit https://bit.ly/3zABI89
Applying and hiring FAQs
Answers to frequently asked questions about applying and hiring at Northern Arizona University are listed below.
Does Northern Arizona University accept paper applications?Accordion Open
All applications for Classified Staff, Service Professional and Faculty/Administrator positions must be submitted online. If you are interested in a Faculty or Administrator Openings, please follow the application instructions on the posting.
How do I access the application?Accordion Open
You can access the staff employment application or the faculty and administrator application from any computer that has Internet access.
What if I don’t have a computer?Accordion Open
Many places have computers available to the public, including public libraries and community employment service offices. Computers are also available in the Northern Arizona University Human Resources Office lobby, and our staff is happy to assist you.
When I try to access the application, I get an error message that will not allow me to see the page. What can I do?Accordion Open
We recommend the following:
- Access the application using Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox.
- If you are a Northern Arizona University employee or student, please be sure that you are not logged into LOUIE or PeopleSoft. If you are logged in, close all Internet windows before trying to access the application again.
- Close your web browser and then open it again.
- Upon re-opening your browser, please delete your temporary internet files and cookies. To do this, click on “Tools,” located in your browser’s toolbar, then choose “Internet Options.” In the Temporary Internet Files section, click “Delete Cookies” and “Delete Files.” After you have completed these tasks, you should be able to access the application.
If you still cannot access the application after following the steps above, you should contact your systems administrator or Internet service provider. They may have a firewall installed that is preventing you from viewing our page.
How do I login to the application system?Accordion Open
To apply for openings, you will need to establish a unique user name and password. Both the user name and password are case sensitive. Please keep a record of the information for future use.
If you did not provide an e-mail address in your profile, you will need to establish a new user name and password and begin the application process again.
I don’t have an e-mail account. How do I get one?Accordion Open
You may obtain a free email account through several internet sources such as Yahoo or MSN Outlook.
I can’t remember my user name or password. Can you tell me what it is?Accordion Open
If you have entered an e-mail address in your profile you can click on “Login Help” on the staff openings or faculty and administrator openings page and request that your user name or password be sent to your email address. If you do not have an email address in your profile, you will need to create a new user name and password and recreate your application materials.
How can I search the job openings?Accordion Open
You may sort the list of jobs by clicking on any of the headers. For example, if you click on the “Job Title” heading, it will sort the openings in alphabetical order. If you click it again, it will sort them in reverse alphabetical order.
With the Advanced Search Option, you may search by job vacancy number, part-time/full-time status, job family or location using the provided menus. You may also type in keywords or a job title to search by. It is best to use full words in defining your search criteria.
How can I view more information about one of the job titles listed?Accordion Open
Click on the job title for a full description of the position. If you want to apply for that job, just click the “Apply Now” button on the posting.
How often is the job vacancy information updated?Accordion Open
Job vacancy information on the web is updated daily. Please note that the availability of each position is subject to change at any time.
Can I apply for more than one job at a time?Accordion Open
No. The system does not allow for applicants to apply for more than one job at a time.
Can I attach a resume and a cover letter to my application?Accordion Open
Yes, but it must be all in one document. Therefore, we recommend that you put your resume and cover letter in one Microsoft Word or Adobe Acrobat document, using page breaks to separate them. It is also recommended that you include your name and the position vacancy number in the attachment and/or in the document title.
What if my resume and cover letter are not Microsoft Word or Adobe Acrobat (.pdf) documents?Accordion Open
Our system can only accept documents in these formats. You will need to convert your documents before attaching them to your application.
Do I need to submit an application in order to apply?Accordion Open
Classified Staff and Service Professional openings require an online application in order to be considered for each position.
Faculty and Administrator Openings require an online application in order to be considered for each position. These postings indicate what materials are required and where to send the additional materials if needed in the “How to Apply” or “Special Information” section of the posting announcement.
Do I need to submit a separate application for each position that I would to apply for?Accordion Open
Yes, a separate application needs to be submitted for each individual position for which you wish to apply. You may apply for more than one position at a time by clicking in the box to the left of the job title in the job posting list, then clicking on the “Apply Now” button.
Additionally, you may return to the application at a future date and most of the information you have already provided will be there for you to edit. Be sure to review your information before submitting each application, and you must answer all of the applicant questions before applying for each application submission.
Where do I submit an application?Accordion Open
All Classified Staff, Service Professional, Faculty and Administrator applications must be completed online. For assistance with the online application, please view the Applicant Tutorial. If you have questions please contact our Customer Service Center at 928-523-2223 or send us an email.
Faculty and Administrator openings specify the types of materials needed for the application process, and where those materials should be sent.
Will you consider my application for other positions that are available at NAU?Accordion Open
You will only be considered for the position(s) for which you submit an application. If you would like to be considered for other available positions, you will need to submit a separate application for each position.
Do I have to fill out all portions of the application if I attach a resume?Accordion Open
Yes. In order to receive full consideration you need to completely fill out each section of the application, even if you attach a resume.
When is my application due?Accordion Open
All applications must be submitted via the Careers page no later than midnight on the closing date for the position. Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
What does “Open until further notice” mean?Accordion Open
If an application deadline reads “Open until further notice,” the hiring department is accepting applications until an adequate applicant pool is established. Once an applicant pool has been established, the posting will be updated to provide applicants three days of notice before the position closes. However, the vacancy may close without notice. If you have interest in a position, it is highly recommended that you apply as soon as possible upon seeing the announcement.
When will my references be checked?Accordion Open
Departments can choose to check applicants’ references at any time. If you would like special consideration in having an employer contacted, please indicate this in the responsibilities section under the work experience section of the application.
Can I print my application?Accordion Open
You will not be able to print your application. If you are selected for an interview, a paper application will be provided at the interview for you to review for accuracy and sign.
How do I know that you have received my application?Accordion Open
Once you submit your application and agree to the conditions of employment you will receive a confirmation e-mail (if you have provided an e-mail address) within a few hours.
Can I look at previous applications that I have submitted?Accordion Open
You may view any applications that you have submitted by logging in and viewing your history on the “My Careers” section of the staff openings and faculty and administrator openings page.
How long after I apply might I be called for an interview?Accordion Open
The time varies depending on the department conducting the search. However, it usually takes two to three weeks after the closing date on the job to conduct interviews and reach a hiring decision.
The department conducting the search will notify applicants directly to request an interview or notify them that a selection has been made.
What are the password requirements for the application tool?Accordion Open
Please select a password that:
- Has a minimum of 7 total characters with at least 1 digit, 1 lowercase character, and 1 uppercase character.
- Does not match your user name.
- Does not match any of your email addresses.