The African Union (AU) is a continental body consisting of the 55 member states that make up the countries of the African Continent. It was officially launched in 2002 as a successor to the Organisation of African Unity (OAU, 1963-1999). We are an Integrated, Prosperous and Peaceful Africa, driven by its own citizens and representing a dynamic force in the global arena.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Assistant Accountant, Financial Management AfCFTA
Requisition ID: 1173
Location: Accra, Ghana
Reports to: Senior Disbursement Officer
Directorate/Department : Finance
Division : Accounting, Budget and Financial Management
Number of Direct Reports: 0
Number of Indirect Reports: 0
Job Grade: GSA5
Number of Positions: 01
Contract Type: Regular
Purpose of Job
- To process payments in accordance with African Union Financial Rules and Regulations.
- Provide timely operational support;
- Assist in activity planning;
- Prepare operational work schedules and follow up implementation;
- Coordinate and/or Engage in technical assistance and/or logistical work;
- Assist in the creation, improvement and maintenance of operational processes and systems;
- Prepare office communication and draft reports;
- Handle communication at operational level and provide update;
- Assist in the compilation and maintenance of data and information for preparation, implementation and monitoring of budgets, activities etc.
- Ensure that all payments are authorized and legitimate supporting documentation provided;
- Ensure that all payment processes on timely basis;
- Process all payments (19 or 10 series) in SAP;
- Support the management and improvement of procedures and controls in relation to the timely processing of payment;
- Monitor, analyze, and manage open items; monitors and reports status of open items to supervisor.
- Post payment transactions in SAP ERP;
- Process and verify all bank payment and ensure that the accompanying supporting documents are complete and accurate;
- Assist in processing monthly payroll and related staff emoluments;
- Reconcile Statutory Net Payable Account;
- Process Interbank Transfers;
- Review documents for completeness and process all payables;
- Periodically review all open items in vendors and take appropriate action as required
- Safeguard all vouchers including supporting documents for review by both internal and external auditors;
- Provide support in the preparation of financial reports and assists in performance of various clerical duties;
- Ensure ageing analysis of imprest and travel claims on a regular basis to keep clean and up to date;
- Prepare responses to external and internal audit queries and assist in the implementation of audit findings;
- Analyze and upload bank data onto the SAP Bank Module from prepared excel files;
- Participate in the preparation of Bank reconciliation reports;
- Follows-up periodic currency revaluation procedures on SAP system;
- Journalize monthly exchange and bank charges on the various payments effected through Foreign and Local bank accounts;
- Adjust the local bank balance at the end of each month;
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned.
Academic Requirements and Relevant Experience
- A Diploma in Accounting or Finance or related filed, with three (3) years of relevant work experience in the areas of Accounting/finance.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or Finance or related filed, with two (2) years of relevant work experience in the areas of Accounting/finance.
- Relevant Experience
- Experience in processing payments in AU or similar international organization is required;
- Experience with financial systems/finance module of enterprise resource planning (ERP) such as SAP or similar ERP is required.
- A sound and detailed knowledge of financial rules and regulations in AU or similar international organization is highly desirable;
- Advance knowledge in the application of Microsoft Office Suite particularly Excel and PowerPoint.
- Conscientious in observing deadlines and achieving results
- Analytical skills
- Knowledge in Microsoft suite (Excel, Word etc.)
- Interpersonal skills
- Able to communicate orally and in writing
- Proficiency in one of the AU working languages, fluency in another AU language is an added advantage
- Teamwork and Collaboration
- Learning Orientation
- Communicating with Influence
- Accountability awareness and Compliance
- Job Knowledge Sharing
- Continuous Improvement Orientation:
- Trouble shooting
- Task Focused
Tenure of Appointment:
- The appointment will be made on a regular term contract for a period of three (3) years, of which the first twelve months shall be considered as a probationary period. Thereafter, the contract will be for a period of two years renewable, subject to satisfactory performance and deliverables.
- The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Proficiency in one of the AU working languages (Arabic, English, French, Portuguese, and Spanish) and fluency in another AU language is an added advantage
Indicative basic salary of US$ 15,758.00 (GSA 5 Step1) per annum plus other related entitlements e.g. Post adjustment (57% of basic salary), Housing allowance US$ 16,813.44 (per annum), and education allowance (100% of tuition and other education-related expenses for every eligible dependent up to a maximum of US$ 10,000.00 per child per annum), for internationally recruited staff and a maximum of $3,300 per child per annum for locally recruited staff.
Application Closing Date
6th June, 2022.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online